Doesn’t exactly rate much more than a few paragraphs, really.
This thing nearly broke me.
I don’t think I’ll be doing anything else all-ages for a long, long time after this.
On to Project 3C, image editing, and way more stuff. At this rate I’ll barely be done by August…
How time flies. Random notes:
- Tried a little of Cross Channel on PS3. Interesting early draft material in the extra booklet; the story had to feature a much more explicit God figure instead of Nanaka’s relatively oblique referral, originally.
It still looks awful on TV, the new opening is hilariously bad with its random stock footage, and the lip syncing for all dolls (new for this version) is ugly beyond description. It’s like they set the flaps to minimum sensitivity, so the mouths barely move at all. And nice job having all the dolls flap simultaneously on that part of the beach scene where there’s three speaking together. Splitting the audio file was too complex despite the three voices being clearly separate in there, huh?
- New PC edition is in transit, stand by. Let’s see if they fixed that damn nighttime school gate BG for once.
- Gene Wolfe. Forget Tolkien and Lewis and all those, this is who Tanaka is inspired by first and foremost! If you’re starving for more highly written, complex, deep stories with unreliable narrators, relatively little hook, but still the same religious bias as Romeo Tanaka, you know who to look up.
- Most importantly, I’ve been busy translating. Project 2, Hanahira!, is translated and edited and handed off for finalizing. Project 3A (~10k lines) is translated and edited, Project 3B (~36k lines) is translated and in editing, Project 3C (~12k lines) is planned to start early next year. Should have something next Spring/early Summer. This stuff is going to be a blast of the So Bad It’s Good kind… provided the editing doesn’t kill me first, because it’s bad. Enough that I may never do an all-ages VN ever again.
This is the release of my monograph on Cross Channel. It’s in xHTML, ePub and MOBI, should be compatible or easily convertible for most eReaders.
The book comes with a brand-new translation that also consolidates some of the updated and additional material.
A patch that optionally allows reading this translation in the game is also released.
This patch is dependent on the hacks for the Amaterasu version of the 2003 original release, and is released withOUT permission or authorization of Amaterasu translation.
This patch replaces 100% of the Amaterasu translation, text and video and graphics.
DO NOT CONTACT AMATERASU TRANSLATIONS ABOUT THIS.
Please read the VN before the book, and the book before the script commentary.
From the readme file:
- You need Python v2.7.x installed.
THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH PYTHON v3.x
You need the files:
from this website.
WITHOUT THESE THE PATCH WILL NOT INSTALL
- Install Cross Channel, Amaterasu Translation
Patch can be found here (scroll down)
Use either the Videos or the No Videos release, all videos will be replaced.
Choose Ero or not during installation, the choice will be overridden.
Existing installations should work.
Nothing of the Amaterasu translation remains after patching except the base text hacks. This is released completely withOUT their authorization or approval.
- Unpack the archive in the installation directory.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PATCH FILES ARE UNARCHIVED, AND THE GRAPHICS CONTAIN MASSIVE SPOILERS. THE BOOK AND SCRIPT COMMENTARY ALSO CONTAIN MASSIVE SPOILERS.
- Run _RUNME_.BAT to patch the files.
This will move away any existing savegames (they’re incompatible), several files of the Amaterasu translation (they no longer apply), and patch nearly every file in the directory. Nothing remains of the original translation but those backup files, which can be safely deleted.
- Run CC-ENG.EXE
If the game crashes soon after pressing ‘Begin’, the patch did not install correctly.
If the first scene is not of full screen text, the patch did not install correctly.
Install the Inconsolata font (it’s in the game directory) as first fix attempt.
DO NOT ASK AMATERASU TRANSLATION ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS.
- It is recommended to set Text Decoration to Border, game speed to Fast, and text speed to Very Fast. SOME SCENES WILL BE DIFFICULT TO READ IF TEXT DECORATION IS DEACTIVATED.
- Please be careful as THE GAME WILL CRASH IF THE BACKLOG USED AROUND SCENES OF FULL-SCREEN TEXT. If the text window doesn’t appear, do not use the backlog. Do not use the backlog right afterwards either.
- Save often and read carefully.
The readme also contains a complete walkthrough and a few more tips.
There are three extra scenarios included, playable after completing the main story (simply start a new game afterwards).
No tech support will be provided.
No updates or followups are planned.
It’s up as long as it’s up. Don’t expect reuploads from me.
The book and patch are free and intended to be free. No selling.
I don’t hang around online on forums or anything and never will anymore.
I understand the install instructions aren’t trivial, but do not trust repackages.
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BOTHER AMATERASU TRANSLATIONS ABOUT THIS.
Seriously, look at how many times I wrote that, it’s even boldface and capslocked right there. You’re going to get mocked if you try, and it will be the least you deserve.
The book is released Pleasebuythegameware. Please buy the game. It’s still available on Amazon JP (use a shipping service, I’ve had a good experience with Tenso). I personally see little issue in e.g. buying the Reprint edition or a console edition and then “procuring” the 2003 version or something.
Just buy the game.
The patch is released DontbotherAmaterasuaboutthisware
Don’t bother Amaterasu about this. I’m serious.
162745 words. The hell.
Will have something to publish soon enough.
Very nearly done, just need to buff up a few things here and there and have one final look. Just over 161k words (ugh).
Not much to do after this…